Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Bless me ultima

The more I read this book the more I want to learn Spanish! I can understand it enough to get me by, but I am not very good at speaking it. Someone can ask me a question and I’ll know what he’s talking about but when it comes go giving him an answer, I’m pretty sure I sound like an idiot. Anaya chooses to use a lot of Spanish in this novel and for good reasons. With out it, the novel would not be the same; it would not have the appeal and the reality that draws the reader to keep reading. We are starting to see the events that will shape Antonio’s life forever. Those of witches and town drunks that commit murder while others turn their face. I believe that Antonio is starting to understand his place in the world, yet is unsure of becoming a priest like his mother wants. He is starting to ask a lot of religious questions within himself and we see that Ultima is his only confidant.

No comments: