Tuesday, November 21, 2006

bless me ultima 1-5

I've just started reading "Bless me, Ultima" a novel by Rudolfo Anaya, and I must say it is very interesting. The book follows the life of a young boy named Antonio, who lives in a small town with his mother, father, two sisters, Deborah, and Theresa, and Utima. Ultima is a Curandera, which is a sort of traveling doctor who cures with natural medicines and herbs. A Curandera is a very wise individual and is highly sought after in cases of child birth and also for spiritual guidance. What first caught my attention was the author's use of the Spanish language. He uses common everyday Spanish the way it was meant to be used and in the situations that would prompt that type of usage. For instance, there is a argument between some members of the town and Gabriel, Antonios father; during this argument, the words used seemed perfectly choosen and gave a feeling of "I know that's what I would have said". Another interesting aspect of this novel was the way Anaya used very descriptive words for everyday occurrences. Anaya starts right into a murder of the town sheriff and he uses words that put you right into the action of it all.
I think that the book is going to be a great read simply for its use of words and it’s genuine Spanish feel. We can tell the Antonio’s family is from Spanish decent and the books dialogue fits well with the characters. I know that I am going to enjoy reading the rest of this book and look forward to the remaining chapters. I know that from the title, Ultima will be playing an immense role in the life of Antonio, and I am eager to find out how.

No comments: